Taking your workout outdoors this summer? Staying hydrated and maintaining your body’s electrolytes and salts is crucial, especially during hot weather. Keep these tips in mind before breaking a sweat this season!
- Running at the right hour of the day is important. You want to avoid exercising outside between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. because the sun is strongest then.
- Wear light colors to reflect the sun and opt for cotton or other lighweight, sweat-wicking fabrics. Also be sure to apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a high SPF.
- You want to drink 7 to 10 ounces of water every 15 minutes, even when you’re not thirsty. Continue to drink water before and after your workout.
- Refrain from drinking hot coffee before your workout. It can leave you dehydrated and can prevent your body from cooling down effectively.
- Eat a snack with protein and carbohydrates 30 minutes after your workout.